Renault Megane Electric - Battery and Range

Faults and Technical chat for the Renault Megane Electric
Rob
Site Admin

Post by Rob »

The All-New Mégane E-Tech Electric comes with a choice of two battery capacities: 40kWh for a range of 186 miles (WLTP cycle), and 60kWh for a range of up to 292 miles (WLTP cycle, depending on model). The 40-kWh battery is made of 8 modules of 24 cells each, distributed over a single layer. The 60-kWh battery consists of 12 modules of 24 cells each, spread over two layers. In both cases, the battery’s dimensions remain unchanged, including the record height of 110mm (1960mm length and 1450mm width). They come with an 8-year guarantee, during which they will be replaced free of charge should they deteriorate to less than 70% of their nominal capacity.

The long range of the All-New Mégane E-Tech Electric is thanks to a new, patented, three-part system: a new heat pump improves the battery’s coefficient of performance by 30% compared to Zoe, with a new heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system; an intelligent system for managing energy lost by the batteries and powertrain, which reuses it to heat the cockpit; predictive charging management uses the route on the vehicle's navigation system to set the battery at the appropriate temperature as the car nears a planned charging point, making the best use of the charging point’s capabilities for a faster, fuller charge.

With these technologies, a journey between Paris and Lyon, London and Newcastle, Hanover and Copenhagen or Munich and Venice only requires a single short charging stop of 30 minutes.

renault-megane-e-tech-electric (52).jpg

Phorridge

Post by Phorridge »

Uhm I have the "long" range 60Kw model and if I can eek out 180 miles I'm doing really well.
I don't thinks it's helpful to state ranges near 300 miles when in the real world it's just not achievable.
Leni16

Post by Leni16 »

EV database website, which is usually pretty accurate has the Mégane

City - Cold Weather * 200 mi
Highway - Cold Weather * 145 mi
Combined - Cold Weather * 170 mi

City - Mild Weather * 305 mi
Highway - Mild Weather * 185 mi
Combined - Mild Weather * 235 mi
tarbat

Post by tarbat »

You can use Renault's range calculator, or use this chart based on the calculator.

1.jpg

https://www.renault.co.uk/electric-vehi ... lator.html

2.jpg

Phorridge

Post by Phorridge »

So basically you need to drive at 30 mph to get full range.
tarbat

Post by tarbat »

Phorridge wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:26 pm
So basically you need to drive at 30 mph to get full range.
To get the published WLTP range you need to drive according to the WLTP combined test cycle. So, no heating on, drive at an average speed of 28.9 mph, and accelerate gently. All EV's are the same when it comes to the published WLTP range.
tarbat

Post by tarbat »

I see EV-Database have at last corrected the battery size on their Megane listing.

1.jpg

SurfBoi

Post by SurfBoi »

Mine use around 20kwh/100km around 0 degrees celsius with eco-mode and 22 on the climate. Quite a bit lower when it was 15 degrees though, I'd say around 16+ kwh/100km.
RPJ1955

Post by RPJ1955 »

I picked up my Megane e tech launch edition 1st March drove from Wolverhampton to Shrewsbury and back total miles 60 ev used 120 miles weather wasn’t too cold some 60 mph on route but based on this and other cold day soc figures in the car I figured trying to get a 100 mile trip to Wales without a charge on the way out would be pushing it especially not knowing how it would respond over the Welsh mountains. The range anxiety was just too much after three weeks I have now changed to a Captur hybrid.
When I looked at the Megane I requested an extended test drive but it was refused if I had done that I would have realised that electric was not working for me.
An expensive mistake to make.
The published figures will rarely be met in my opinion.
Phorridge

Post by Phorridge »

We've had ours 3 months and regularly do a 140 mile round trip sometimes that gets extended to 160-180 miles.
We did a 170 mile run to Cardiff and a 210 mile return trip.
That was in Feb so in the single digit temp range.
We are able to do the 140 mile round trips with 10% spare easily now. And if we make that 180miles we'll pick up a short rapid charge to bung 20% in which is very fast.
The run to Cardiff we did easily on one charge but topped up just outside Cardiff to around 70% on a rapid charger. Then topped back up on the way out of Cardiff and a final small top up before home.
So for us and some forward planning it works well.
Loads of fast and rapid chargers being installed all the time on the routes we do. And having solar many of the miles we do are free.