Context aware adaptive cruise control on UK cars

Faults and Technical chat for the Renault Megane Electric
NosmoKing

Post by NosmoKing »

I see in the manual that 'context-aware' ACC is available if a subscription is activated.

'Context-aware' means that the car will understand that it is approaching sharp bends or a roundabout, and adjust speed accordingly.

Renault have told me that:

- This feature is being adapted for UK cars (as it involves changes in the algorithm to understand that we drive on the left).
- This feature will be available on new cars, when available
- It will not be possible to retro-fit this feature to any cars that have been sold before the feature is available.

So... boo

Nosmo

Phorridge

Post by Phorridge »

That's a real kick in the teeth for early purchasers.
Phorridge

Post by Phorridge »

Had a call from Renault customer services to see how how experience with the car was working out.
Mentioned the issues with reduced functions of the adaptive cruise control.
They are aware of course and told me the system was designed for driving on the right and needed to be updated for driving on the left.
It was suggested that some functionality may come in the future via an update but also that some was hardware dependent and would be available for early purchasers.
We were offered £150 for the inconvenience.
So not sure what will happen now.
I mentioned my sales receipt specifically says the adaptive cruise will slow for detected road speed signs and doesn't so a tech case has been raised.
I'm sure this will still be a limitation as the menu item to enable it doesn't exist.
DAS

Post by DAS »

Phorridge wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:09 pm
the adaptive cruise will slow for detected road speed signs and doesn't so a tech case has been raised.
I'm sure this will still be a limitation as the menu item to enable it doesn't exist.
I've a colleague who's ID.3 did that. He was cruising at 120km/hr and the car read the reduced speed on an exit off the motorway. He very nearly had a heart attack, as did the driver behind apparently. I'm all for the ACC but not that add on.
Phorridge

Post by Phorridge »

I've found the Renault only eases off when the adaptive cruise control is lowered to a lower speed.
It doesn't slam the brakes on it just eases the power off.
If you set the cruise speed to say 40mph and drive at 70 mph and engage the Active CC it just slows to 40.
I also like how it's quite gentle in increasing the speed. We had a car before with cruise control and it would leap up the road to reach cruise speed.
It could be the eco driving mode helping of course