Tyre blow out.

Faults and Technical chat for the Renault Megane Electric
Phorridge

Post by Phorridge »

Not really a fault but a heads up.
Hit a pot hole a few hours back.
The low profile tyre was cut on the inside and outside by the time so unrepairable.
The pathetic compressor would have been no good and didn't even try the gloop as I could almost put my finger in the holes.
So we learned that the Renault RAC breakdown cover doesn't cover punctures.
So that was £161 fee for recovery.
My advice folks is it's a fraction of that to get your own breakdown cover with puncture cover.

Best price I found for a replacement 225 45R20 fitted at my home was £207

So my next task is to due the council for the £370 and find a space saver that will fit.

DAS

Post by DAS »

ooch.
Kinda related but I see nothing mentioned on how to jack to remove a wheel, even information for a garage / tyre changer
Phorridge

Post by Phorridge »

There are the jack points along the seal seems on the expected places.
I hope they are good as I'll be ordering a std scissor jack.
DAS

Post by DAS »

Phorridge wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2023 6:41 pm
There are the jack points along the seal seems on the expected places.
I hope they are good as I'll be ordering a std scissor jack.
Great. Will have a look when I get home. Good weather so on the bike today. Must get a jack and wheel-brace as well.
Phorridge

Post by Phorridge »

I've got a 20" space saver for a Kia EV6
It looks to be the right spec and the supplier has agreed to refund in full if it doesn't fit.
£220 for space saver with wheel brace and jack.
I'll test it out when I get it and feed back.
Phorridge

Post by Phorridge »

Ok I can confirm the Kia EV6 30" space saver fits fine.
It was from the wheel shop (online)
I got the kit so a 3T scissor jack. Wheel brace and the space saver.( Which is pretty big actually.) The space saver fits on the boot floor and the jack and brave in the cable hole

PXL_20230407_084700866.jpg

PXL_20230407_085524240.jpg

PXL_20230407_083848226.jpg

jpcavanagh

Post by jpcavanagh »

i hit a huge crater pot hole a few weeks back, the tyre pressure lasted about 3 miles and fortunately I got home. RAC came to replace the tyre (for a fee) but when he looked the tyre was fine, the wheel rim had two huge dents which caused the air to escape. He couldn't repair this. He also insisted that the wheel had to be put back on the car because it was unsafe without it. This meant I couldn't get the rim repaired - so I had to purchase a new wheel and tyre from Renault costing around £700. That took 2 days, then the RAC came back and switched wheels for me (I find I have no jack or tool kit in the Megane). I have now had the old rim repaired for £120 so basically I have a full size spare wheel which I will keep and home and get recovered to home it this happens again. BTW the guy at the wheel rim repair said it is what he does ALL DAY because this happens often.

Wheel rim damage.jpg