Preconditioning cabin question

Faults and Technical chat for the Renault Megane Electric
PDSc0tt

Post by PDSc0tt »

Not sure if anyone can help, but I’ve managed to get the preconditioning to work as I wanted it once, but have no idea how I can get it to work again properly.

I have an Ohme Home Pro charge point at home, but I’m not with Octopus.

I have my charge schedule set up in the Ohme app to charge during my BG EV tariff cheap rate between midnight and 5 am and only set the car to instant charge and the capacity limit of 80%. If I precondition it as part of that schedule in the Ohme app (not set in the car), it would defrost and increase cabin temp too early for me going to work (I leave around 06:45, not 05:00), so using the schedule would be wasteful, as the car would cool down by the time I needed it.

Now, if I set a second schedule to charge 0% and precondition to be ready at 06:35, it doesn’t work. If I have that set and also a program in the car to be ready at the same time, it doesn’t work.

Is there a way to set a different precondition time for the car to be warm independent of when the Ohme app scheduled charge time ends? Or do I need to unplug the car and plug it back in again to get the charge point program and car program to talk correctly?

If I’m not making it clear, I charge my car between midnight and 5 am, but I want the car to defrost/warm the cabin by 6:35 am and can’t figure out how to do it (using house electricity, not the car battery, as I can precondition direct from the car, but it’ll eat into range and no point in plugging it in more often in winter to precon if that’s the case).

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Oh and can someone check to see if their rear seat base is loose (can you wobble it a fair bit, slightly kore so at the driver’s side than the passenger’s). If your rear seat base cushion doesn’t move or have any play in it (I can grab under it and lift it a fair bit), I guess I will get it checked at the dealership.

Thanks again.

Edited to clarify that I can precondition cabin temp from the My Renault app, but it uses battery, not charge from the house.
Last edited by PDSc0tt on Thu Dec 14, 2023 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

sinlessUK

Post by sinlessUK »

Can you not use the My Renault App on your phone as shown below?

Also in the Ohme App if you set the Departure Time to 06:45 and enable Preconditioning this will activate it for the last 5 - 60 mins of your charge schedule, depending on what you choose and using mains power NOT your battery. Whilst preconditioning is taking place, any tariff charging restrictions will be ignored.

1C300A67-4710-4359-9506-B6233802D38E.jpeg

https://topcashback.co.uk/ref/simon | https://share.octopus.energy/flax-elm-797 | https://electroverse.octopus.energy/network/sign-up?referralCode=flax-elm-797 | https://app.tronity.io/signup/QJJDFDC6 | https://surfshark.club/friend/Fbv9yqHV
PDSc0tt

Post by PDSc0tt »

sinlessUK wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 12:13 pm
Can you not use the My Renault App on your phone as shown below?

Also in the Ohme App if you set the Departure Time to 06:45 and enable Preconditioning this will activate it for the last 5 - 60 mins of your charge schedule, depending on what you choose and using mains power NOT your battery. Whilst preconditioning is taking place, any tariff charging restrictions will be ignored.
Thanks for the reply. I can indeed use the Renault app and have tried it with programming disabled and active.

It’s likely that my use case is a little odd, as I charge the car only between midnight and 5 am to take advantage of my EV charging tariff, but I don’t leave before 6:45 am, so the preconditioning option in the app would end too early.

I guess that’s the only solution though, unless I unplug the car and then change the home app schedule to one that doesn’t increase charge, but has the precon on and departure time at 6:45 am and then re-plug in the car.

I was hoping for a more elegant solution to account for cheap charging rates between specific times and then preconditioning the cabin later, short of turning the ohme charger into a dumb one and just using the car programming.
Phorridge

Post by Phorridge »

Why not leave the charger doing its cheap rate charge and using the car app to schedule the preconditioning to the schedule for when you leave.
It will mean the car is warming up after the charge has completed but it takes such a small amount to warm the car I wouldn't worry about it.
AJSG1969

Post by AJSG1969 »

PDSc0tt wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 8:07 am
I was hoping for a more elegant solution to account for cheap charging rates between specific times and then preconditioning the cabin later, short of turning the ohme charger into a dumb one and just using the car programming.
That's we ended up doing, to many "smart" things trying to do something rather simple. Dumb charger, and set everything from the car. It did actually work without the App, but Renault designers are infants so after a while it goes into hysteria if its not connected. In fact the whole car turns into a turd if you have no connectivity or smart phone.