Sudden scraping noise from front wheels

Faults and Technical chat for the Renault Megane Electric
PDSc0tt

Post by PDSc0tt »

Hey all,
I was wondering if anyone else has had an issue with the front brakes staying clamped on randomly after stopping and then moving onwards?

I’m wondering if I’ve got an issue with my front pads. Or the auto brake function.

Driving home this evening and all was good. Stopped at a set of traffic lights on a roundabout (I’m in the UK). When the lights changed and I moved forward, as I picked up speed, there was a scraping noise like the pads were sticking/rubbing against the brake discs.

I stopped and checked the car. Nothing except evidence of a hot smell and more brake dust than I would have expected (I only really use the brakes to come to a stop and rely on regen the rest of the time). Before moving off again, I pumped the brake pedal a few times. Noise had gone away. I made it home safely.

I’ve since had a look when I got home and it seems like the pad on the passenger side front wheel calliper is smaller than the one on the drivers side (not more worn, but significantly smaller than the pad backing) and is touching the disc. The drivers side one is not touching the disc, as best I can tell and the car is in park and turned off.

I’m going to take it to the garage tomorrow first thing, but wanted to know if anyone else has experienced similar.

Car has only done 6000 miles and was bought new in June 23 (it was built in November 22, iirc).

Cheers

Phorridge

Post by Phorridge »

If you drive with the regen turned up high you won't be using the brakes much and you can get the discs collecting surface rust. That clears off after a few deliberate braking sessions.