Regenerative braking "drag" on accelerator?

All Megane Electric related discussions
BillyWhizz

Post by BillyWhizz »

When I increase the regen braking (usually from 1 to 2) there is a very noticeable impact on the throttle pedal. It feels like it has tightened up, for want of a better description, and needs more pressure to get the same result. The indicated miles I am getting per kwh increases immediately (even though my foot stays on the accelerator) and I'm not sure if this is normal or if the regen braking may be sticking/working when it shouldn't be. I've also noticed dark stains on the drive around each wheel and wonder if this may be linked or whether it is something else (and, again, whether it is normal).

If somebody with a Megane E-Tech can let me know if they are getting the same thing that would be really helpful but I guess the regen/accelerator thing may be common to other EVs so if anybody has similar experiences of other cars that would also be interesting.

This is my first electric car so I have nothing (other than some other cars I test drove) to compare to.

Leni16

Post by Leni16 »

Exactly the same for me in eco mode full regen, not as noticeable in other modes
Phorridge

Post by Phorridge »

I think for the throttle to act as both accelerator and regen brake the mapping of the throttle peddle position changes as you increase or decrease the regen level.
With no regen the full travel if the throttle relates to acceleration. But in full regen. The first half the travel is about regen so you don't get any acceleration until after half the peddle is pressed down.
So it's expected that the peddle will feel different
And it will increase your range as it will expect to gain charge during slowing.
BillyWhizz

Post by BillyWhizz »

Thanks for the replies.

I could understand the predicted range increasing (bottom left of the dashboard where the remaining battery percentage is shown) but was concerned by the change of feel in the accelerator and the immediate increase in miles per kwh being achieved (as shown by the display on the right of the dashboard).

I did find a general EV article, late last night, which also said this was normal so certainly looks like nothing to worry about.