Check automatic lighting warning

Faults and Technical chat for the Renault Megane Electric
PDSc0tt

Post by PDSc0tt »

Hoping for some info from anyone with a similar experience.

I have a Megane Techno EV60 and we’ve had it for around a week. It’s been running flawlessly until today. Got back to our car after being in a supermarket and immediately on entering the vehicle checks flagged a warning about the automatic lighting. Couldn’t see anything on the windscreen that could affect the camera system, but it is a warm sunny day (26C in the Midlands in the UK).

Is it a glitch in the adaptive lighting regarding the sunny day that could have caused this, or is it likely to be something that has developed at random that genuinely requires me visiting the Dealership?

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I know that the manual mentions extreme weather can confuse the system, so the car deactivates it, so I’m assuming something like this is going on. Luckily it’s long daylight ours just now and the “fault” only affects the adaptive lighting systems, so it’s still fine to drive.

Otherwise, loving the car.

Edited: corrected silly autocorrect text in first sentence.

PDSc0tt

Post by PDSc0tt »

Just checked it again after being parked on my driveway for a couple of hours. No warning. Think it may have been due to the system being blinded by the sun, rather than heat, as it was ok again when it was over 30C outside.

I’ve contacted the dealership anyway to see if it’s a known glitch, or if they want to check it over. I’ll keep everyone posted.
kg003143

Post by kg003143 »

Hi PDSc0tt and thanks for posting. I had the same problem. Car has been flawless over 10,000 miles. Turning it off and on again had no effect. Parking in shade did the trick. Let us know if dealer had any advice. Cheers!
t2mrg

Post by t2mrg »

Did anyone find out what the real issue is with the lighting fault message. Mine does it every month. And cures itself before getting to a dealer.
sinlessUK

Post by sinlessUK »

https://gb.e-guide.renault.com/eng/Mega ... ND-SIGNALS

Search Operating Faults in the above link. Quotes dealership visit a lot.
https://topcashback.co.uk/ref/simon | https://share.octopus.energy/flax-elm-797 | https://electroverse.octopus.energy/network/sign-up?referralCode=flax-elm-797 | https://app.tronity.io/signup/QJJDFDC6 | https://surfshark.club/friend/Fbv9yqHV
Phorridge

Post by Phorridge »

Mines done it a few times now. It normally clears upon the next restart of the car.
I suspect its just a glitch.
ArtyBee

Post by ArtyBee »

Ive had it happen once a few weeks ago and was only a mile from the main dealer - so drove straight there to ask them to investigate. i turned the car off and on to check the problem remained then went inside to speak with them. Returned with an engineer 10 minutes later and on starting up there was no message. I put it down to being triggered by the low sun as i was parked facing the opposite direction at work that day. Havent parked that way again and havent seen the problem re-occur.
PDSc0tt

Post by PDSc0tt »

kg003143 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 2:25 pm
Hi PDSc0tt and thanks for posting. I had the same problem. Car has been flawless over 10,000 miles. Turning it off and on again had no effect. Parking in shade did the trick. Let us know if dealer had any advice. Cheers!
Sorry to take So long to get back to you all. Dealer said that it may have been the sun blinding the system. My headlights were ok so they said to keep an eye on it. Hadn’t reoccurred until this morning. Same warning on the display. This time when I check, my headlamps and main beams do not come on when activated. I’ve heard there was a technical bulletin about this received by dealers, so I’m going to call them this afternoon to get it looked at. I’ll keep you posted as to what comes of it. Bit of a pain, as I kinda need my headlights to be working for a trip to Scotland this month.
I’m also trying the leave it switched off a bit to see if it resets.
SeanMac

Post by SeanMac »

I don’t want to Alarm you but this could be the sign of another major problem, namely water ingress. My Etec
Left the factory with a major defect around the passenger pillar and the windscreen. Seems the sealant wasn’t applied or was applied incorrectly allowing water in from day one. It gave me the same intermittent warning with lights not coming on automatically at night and other warnings.

It could be a sign of something similar or more sinister as there appears to be a problem with the manufacturing of these cars with mine at least.

Anyone else has the water ingress issue?

Given this is basically a mobile computer sitting on a 60kw battery it’s a major concern.
PDSc0tt

Post by PDSc0tt »

SeanMac wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 1:23 pm
I don’t want to Alarm you but this could be the sign of another major problem, namely water ingress. My Etec
Left the factory with a major defect around the passenger pillar and the windscreen. Seems the sealant wasn’t applied or was applied incorrectly allowing water in from day one. It gave me the same intermittent warning with lights not coming on automatically at night and other warnings.

It could be a sign of something similar or more sinister as there appears to be a problem with the manufacturing of these cars with mine at least.

Anyone else has the water ingress issue?

Given this is basically a mobile computer sitting on a 60kw battery it’s a major concern.
I’ve not noticed any issues with water ingress around the windscreen. The two times it’s happened to me (one where the check automatic lighting warning came on but lights were fine and the other where check lighting warning came on and the lights didn’t work until I came back to the car 30 mins later) were on sunny/dry days. Every time it’s been lashing it down, even when the car has been stationary or when I’ve chucked a bucket of clean water on the car when washing it, there’s been no issues with the lights, warning messages or evidence of water coming in round the windscreen.

I’ll certainly bear that in mind, though. Thanks.

I also understand there’s a known issue that’s to do with the software and that Renault are aware (a technical bulletin has been issued, apparently).